Monday, July 11, 2011

CA*California Restaurant At Dempsey Hill Review

Bf had an unexpectedly free Saturday this week so we ventured to Dempsey for a relaxing weekend lunch.

Lovely Picture From Jones The Grocer Main Page

It seems like Singaporeans all flock to the same few places on weekends and our first choice of Jones The Grocer was packed! Being the impatient girl that I am, I couldnt bear to wait for 10-30 mins just for a meal that is not that fabulous IMO. 

So, Culina was next and it was packed too with some chi chi people eating oysters and sipping white wine. Well, we had to wait for about 20 mins so I crossed that place out too.

We conveniently hop by to the next door restaurant which turned out to be CA*California


I didn't know what to make out of the restaurant and what it serves exactly but the friendly waiter and available seats were just so inviting. Without hesitation, I walked right in to take shelter from the hot hot July sun.


My initial thought was to have a serving of salad since I wasn't even hungry. Somehow, the ambiance had an effect that made me greedy to try the many sandwiches and wraps they serve (and I'm not even a bread person to begin with).


I ordered the recommended BBQ Chicken Burrito at $15.80 and it was tasty! The wrap was so fragrant and perfectly toasted. Stuffed with chicken pieces, mushrooms and melted cheddar cheese, I just couldn't stop chomping away. This dish is yummy and the portion is just nice. The only thing I didn't like about it was the guacamole sauce.


Bf chose the In-coming Burger. It cost $14.80 and you can add ingredients by topping up more (for eg, $4 for cheese which we find pricey).

Anyway, he didn't add anything to it and he felt that the burger was a little bland without sauce or cheese. It helped by  adding some salsa / taco sauce to the burger. But I really like the way the dish was presented with 2 slices of orange. It made the whole serving more appetizing and seemingly more wholesome.

So, we had a good dish and a not so good one. Overall, I would say this is a pretty decent and cozy place to go to at Dempsey, especially when the other places are always so crowded!


The indoor seats are pretty limited and I was surprised that we could get a seat immediately. The booth that we were seated in was quaint and provided some privacy with the curtains. 


In fact, CA*California shares the same space as Ben & Jerry's which is located right on the other side of their kitchen.


I was happy enough with the orange as my dessert that day. And bored enough to blog about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The green sauce was probably guacamole since you were having a burrito.

Anonymous said...

yeah, it is avocado guacamole